Imagine you've won the lottery and want to invest a significant portion of your winnings into Calgary’s economy.
You can either:
- start your own company
- invest in an existing company/industry
- or acquire a company from another city and move it to Calgary
Your goal is to get a maximum return on your investment over the next five years, while having a positive impact on Calgary’s job opportunities and communities. How would you invest your lottery winnings?
You'll be asked to tell us about the company. We want to know what it does and what is it's competitive advantage. How big is the company? How many employees does (or will) it have? For existing companies, how would the company benefit from your cash injection? For acquisitions, how would Calgary benefit from this company moving here?
We'll be looking for well-thought out ideas that demonstrate why the company you've chosen is the best choice for your investment. Don't worry if you don't know all the ins and outs of your business, you will have the opportunity to incorporate community feedback or questions during the Ideas Updates phase.
The Challenge Brief
After all of the ideas have been submitted, the community will have a chance to provide their comments and feedback, and vote for their favourite ideas. Then, members will have a chance to improve their ideas based on the comments they received. The top ideas will be reviewed by our expert panel, which includes Calgary Economic Development leaders that are working on Calgary’s new economic strategy.
Our review panel will be evaluating ideas on the following criteria:
- Is the idea innovative or unique?
- Will the idea contribute to the diversification and growth of Calgary's economy?
- Will the idea enhance or provide job opportunities in Calgary?
- Will the idea benefit Calgary communities?
- Is the effort to implement the idea reasonable or realistic?
Prizes will be awarded in 4 categories:
- Best overall idea: opportunity to present your idea to Calgary Economic Development, participate in a 1 on 1 interview as part of Calgary’s new economic strategy, and a $500 Amazon gift card, as well as a ticket to Calgary Economic Development’s Report to the Community.
- Best new company: opportunity to present your idea to Startup Calgary and a Rosso Coffee gift card (winner of ATB Small Business of the Year award).
- Best investment in an existing company/industry: meet with the team from the Calgary Chamber of Commerce and a Rosso Coffee gift card.
- Best acquisition: Meet with the team from Calgary Economic Development and an Amazon gift card.